This plugin allows users to chat in real time using AJAX. Users can connect with any other users.
Use the [bp-instant-chat] shortcode to embed the front end chat on any page.
- Download and unzip the plugin
- Upload the ‘bp-instant-chat’ folder to the ‘wp-content/plugins’ directory.
- In the admin area, find the plugin named ‘BuddyPress Instant Chat’ and click ‘activate’.
Install Through WordPress Admin
- In the WordPress admin area, go to ‘Plugins > Add New’.
- Search for ‘BuddyPress Instant Chat’ and click ‘Install Now’ then when prompted – click ‘Activate Plugin’.
Where can I set the dimensions of the avatar for messages?
- If you go to the WordPress admin and click the tab at the bottom of the black bar with the text ‘BuddyPress Instant Chat’.
Contributors and Developers
“BuddyPress Instant Chat” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “BuddyPress Instant Chat” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Launch of the plugin
- Fixed bug where if a user tried to go to an existing chat, it would redirect them back to the main chat page
- Added all chats on the main chat page
- Added ability to see all messages for all chats between 2 users from admin
- Added message to the message control view explaining what can be done
- Bug fix for version 1.2 where no message is displayed if a chat doesn’t exist between the 2 users
- Added the ability to allow users to chat with their friends only which can be enabled and disabled in the settings
- Fixed bug where friends only warning would show even if the settings in both plugins was disabled.
- Add the ability to add the chat page on any page using a shortcode
- Fixed bug where the name display setting could not be updated.
- Fixed bug where certain wordpress tables couldn’t be found in some queries because of the incorrect database prefix being used.
- Added the ability to remove messages from a chat and add the messages back through message control in admin.
- Fixed bug where the name display seetings is not set correctly when installing the plugin.
- Changed the display of the messages so they display as speech bubbles.