The Disqus Recent Comments Widget plugin will create a configurable widget that will allow you to display comments in any widgetized area of your theme like sidebars and footers.
You can customize the comment length and date format, filter users and choose from three different markup templates, among other things. The plugin has full support for custom markup defined with register_sidebars() and should integrate smoothly with most themes in the wp.org repository.
We try to be very proactive and responsive with support. So, if you have any issues, please post in the support forums and we’ll do our best to resolve your issue promptly.
You can follow development here: https://github.com/andrewbartel/Disqus_Recent_Comments
- Unzip the ZIP file and drop the ‘disqus-recent-comments’ folder into your ‘wp-content/plugins/’ folder.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Enter your short name and api key in the settings page.
- If you’re having trouble configuring the settings, please see http://deusmachine.com/disqus-instructions.php
- Why did the comments stop appearing?
Disqus caps the number of requests you can make to their api at 1000 an hour for free accounts. If you have caching enabled (the checkbox in the admin section is unchecked),
the plugin will only retrieve new comments once a minute. If you’re hitting the request limit, make sure you haven’t disabled caching. Developers, the time in between requests
is filterable through the disqus_rcw_cache_time filter. If you need help changing this filter, please post in the support forums.
- I blocked a user, but their comments are still appearing
Make sure you entered the exact author name. The plugin does its best to account for spaces, capitalization, etc but it can’t read your mind. If all else fails, copy/paste their name into the filtered users field.
- I can’t figure out this API key stuff, help?
Please see this guide: http://deusmachine.com/disqus-instructions.php
- I found a bug or I have an idea for a new feature
Fork the project and send us a pull request! We’ll be happy to give you a shout out in the release notes. https://github.com/andrewbartel/Disqus_Recent_Comments
If you’re not a developer, you can always drop us a line in the support forums and we’ll do our best to integrate your requests into the next version or tackle the bug you found.
- Where can I find the original version of the script that this plugin was based on?
You can view the original blog post on Aaron’s site: http://www.aaronjwhite.org/index.php/14-web-development/php/11-updated-recent-comments-widget-in-php-for-disquss-api
Or, you can check out the script on github: https://github.com/AaronJWhite/Disqus_Recent_Comments
- Is the plugin available in languages other than English?
Not currently, but if you’d like to put together a translation for us, please do! We’ll happily give you credit in the release notes.
Contributors and Developers
“Disqus Recent Comments Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Disqus Recent Comments Widget” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Added a relative time option in each individual widget’s settings
- Added caching, the plugin will now retrieve comments once a minute instead of every page load (props to everyone who helped out on this)
- Tested on WordPress 4.0
- Added spacedmonkey as a contributor
- Removed the check for the disqus comments system on activation
- Removed references to CURL and replaced with the built-in wp_get_remote function.
- Fixed bug where admin panel was not accessible by admin accounts.
- New filter ‘disqus_rcw_recent_comment_format’ for changing the html markup of each comment
- Added RenettaRenula as a contributor
- Plugin now properly displays the title when no comments are present
- Plugin should now activate properly on multisite (props to Army)
- Added a new layout, Tight Spacing
- Rewrote the connection to the disqus api to speed up the comment retrieval (props to theconsultant_)
- Added support for register_sidebars()
- Fixed a bug that caused the posted date to display as today’s date
- Added the option to disable the plugin’s css file
- Added options to control what markup is generated (props to BramVanroy for the suggestion and code)
- Added the ability to change the widget title
- Added the option to change the markup surrounding the title
- Initial build