Using Homepage Control, any theme which uses a “homepage” (or other) hook to display components on a homepage, just got better. Re-order or disable any of the homepage components added by your theme, and control the display and order of any function hooked on to the “homepage” hook.
Looking for a helping hand? View plugin documentation.
Once activated, a “Homepage Control” item will display in the Theme Customizer ( Appearance > Customizer ).
Visiting this screen will display a table of the possible homepage components, with options for re-ordering them, or disabling individual components.
Once done, click the “Save Changes” button, to commit your new component order into the system.
Installing “Homepage Control” can be done either by searching for “Homepage Control” via the “Plugins > Add New” screen in your WordPress dashboard, or by using the following steps:
- Download the plugin via WordPress.org.
- Upload the ZIP file through the “Plugins > Add New > Upload” screen in your WordPress dashboard.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Visit the “Appearance > Customizer” section, select “Homepage Control”. There you can select the components you’d like to display, and in which order.
No components show up in the administration area. Is my theme broken?
Not at all. This simply means your theme doesn’t support the “homepage” action hook, which is a method of adding components to a homepage design.
Please consult your theme developer if you have further queries about customising your homepage.
What happens if I switch themes? Do I lose my settings?
Not at all. 🙂 If you switch themes, Homepage Control will remember the homepage component settings for each theme you apply changes to, making switching themes a breeze.
How do I contribute?
We encourage everyone to contribute their ideas, thoughts and code snippets. This can be done by forking the repository over at GitHub.
Contributors and Developers
“Homepage Control” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- PHP 7 fix for count() usage on arrays.
- Minor tweaks to customizer control.
- Make sure only components that actually exist are outputted to the customizer control (props valendesigns).
- Hide by default components added after the initial setup.
- Removed custom admin page and moved Homepage Control to the WordPress Customizer in Appearance > Customizer.
- Improved handling of functions hooked in via classes.
- Initial release. Woo!