Prevent password resets or changes to specific users or user roles. User-specific exceptions to the sweeping user roles can be set. The user’s password is then protected from modification:
- In the user’s profile editor
- Using the password reset link in the login window
The settings are available to either the super admin on the network, or normal admins on a single installation. If you wish to hide the settings completely, put the following in your wp-config.php:
define( 'PLAINVIEW_PROTECT_PASSWORDS_HIDE', true );
Requires PHP 5.4.
- Check that your web host has PHP v5.4.
- Activate the plugin locally or for the network. The latter option is necessary for the plugin to work on network installations.
- Visit either Admin > Options > Protect Password, or Network admin > Settings > Protect Password, depending on your installation.
- When does the plugin protect my installation?
- If crackers have access to your e-mail but not your WordPress login.
- You do not want to be bothered by people abusing the “reset password” function for your account.
- I’ve forgotten my admin password. How do I get a new one?
The easiest thing to do is rename the plugin’s directory. This will disable the plugin and allow you to reset your admin password.
You can edit the database, but that’s far more difficult than a simple directory rename.
Contributors and Developers
“Plainview Protect Passwords” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Plainview Protect Passwords” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Dev: Added plainview_protect_passwords_pre_save_settings and plainview_protect_passwords_post_save_settings actions as per request from https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-27/
- Fix: Admins are allowed to change the passwords of protected users.
- Fix: Removed warning about “Declaration of plainview\protect_passwords\traits\protection::get_user_capabilities”.
Tested with WordPress v4.8
- Inital release