This plugin is useful for people who regularly use all or most of the post statuses with Posts, Pages, or Custom Post Types. Post Status Menu Items does the following:
- Show each post status and number of posts with that status (e.g. “Drafts (7)”) in each post type’s admin menu.
- Show the number of Posts with each post status in the “Right Now” / “At a Glance” admin Dashboard Widget.
- Show post status icons with each status at the top of admin post list pages.
Options give control over which post statuses are displayed and in which menus those statuses are displayed. Post statuses in the “Right Now” / “At a Glance” admin Dashboard widget can also be turned off.
Screenshots of all features and settings are available on the Screenshots page.
- Plugin settings available on Settings > Writing.
- Statuses with 0 posts are never displayed.
- Posts are the only post type for which the post status menu items are enabled by default.
This plugin works with custom statuses created by Edit Flow, Archived Post Status, Advanced Custom Field PRO “Sync Available” status, Simple Page Ordering, and
Other Plugins by MRWweb
- Feature a Page Widget – Shows a summary of any Page in any sidebar.
- MRW Web Design Simple TinyMCE – A compact page editor to encourage good formatting.
- Post Type Archive Description – Enables an editable description for a post type to display at the top of the post type archive page.
- Hawaiian Characters – Adds the correct characters with diacriticals to the WordPress editor Character Map for Hawaiian
- Upload the “post-status-menu-items” folder to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory of your WordPress site.
- Activate the plugin, “Post Status Menu Items” through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress
- From the Dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for “Post Status Menu Items.”
- Click “Install.”
- Click “Activate.”
- Is this plugin compatible with WordPress 5.0 / “Gutenberg”?
Yes. This plugin has no direct integrations with the content editor, therefore all features and settings work without modification.
If you rely on a plugin that creates or lets you manage custom post statuses, make sure to check if that plugin works with WordPress 5.0.
- Where are the Settings?
- Settings > Writing.
- Look for the “Settings for ‘Post Status Menu Items'” section.
- How Do I Turn the Menus On or Off for a Post Type?
- Go to the plugin’s settings (see above).
- Check or uncheck the post types you do or don’t want to display post statuses for.
- Click “Save Changes”
- Can I suggest a feature?
- Sure thing. Do it on this thread in the Support Forums.
Contributors and Developers
“Post Status Menu Items” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Post Status Menu Items” has been translated into 1 locale. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Post Status Menu Items” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
1.5.0 (April 25, 2017)
- [New!] Add icon for Yoast SEO’s new “Cornerstone Articles” “status”
- [Tweak] Make post status icons on “All Posts” pages slightly smaller.
1.4.0 (December 14, 2015)
- [New] Icon for Advanced Custom Field PRO “Sync Available” status
- [New] Icon for Simple Page Ordering
- [Compat] Remove CSS for support before 3.8
- [Update] required and tested versions
1.3.3 (February 26, 2015)
- [Fix] “Undefined Index” error (Thanks, @leac!)
- [Change] code formatting to always use braces for
1.3.2 (January 21, 2015)
- [New] Settings link on Plugins screen
- [New] Define icon for post statuses named “archive” and “archived.”
- [Change] Readme tweaks to Installation and front page.
- [i18n] Update POT file for settings link.
1.3.1 (February 13, 2014)
- [Fix] Broken Trashicon Dashicon.
- [Fix] Add additional capability check to avoid Pages showing for Contributors. Thanks @csigncsign for reporting this.
- [Fix] Hide Posts screen status icons in < WP3.8.
- [New] Set better icons for “All” and “Mine” statuses.
- [Change] Remove conditional loading of stylesheet. Load on all admin pages.
- [readme] New and reordered screenshots for 3.8.
1.3.0 (December 12, 2013)
- [New] In WordPress 3.8+, display Posts statuses in “At a Glance” Dashboard widget with awesome Dashicons. (Uses old “Right Now” widget setting. Statuses remain in the “Right Now” widget in older verions of WordPress.)
- [New] Status Icons added to top of “post list” admin page. (Icons courtesty of the awesome new dashicons.)
- [i18n] Support for new WordPress 3.7+ Language Packs.
- [i18n] Updated .pot in
- [Settings] Revised settings labels for [hopefully!] better clarity.
- [Misc] Add Screenshots showing new “At a Glance” widget and Post Status icons on posts list admin pages.
- [Misc] Clarify description of plugin in readme.
- [Regression] Crappy “At a Glance” HTML markup courtesy of #26495. Bug filed: #26571.
1.2.1 (September 27, 2013)
- Added capability check so Subscribers don’t see statuses. (Thanks, @benlobaugh!)
- Cleaned up “Right Now” dashboard widget styles with MP6.
Added Post statuses to “Right Now” dashboard widget.
- Second headers already sent fix. This one was an encoding issue.
- Fixed “headers already sent” error with some plugins.
- Added screenshot of plugin options
- Added support for custom post statuses made with Edit Flow or
- Added option to control which post stati are displayed (see Settings > Writing).
- Moved/added all options to single option in the database. (Previously saved options should be automatically migrated.)
- First pass at inline documentation.
- Now translatable (i.e. i18n).
- Updated version compatibility #.
- Updated “Requires at least” version to 3.0 after some research.
- Tweaked function that adds menu items to be slightly more efficient (avoiding array_push).
- Almost a complete rewrite. Again 🙂
- Added “Private” and “Trash” Statuses.
- Added support for Pages and Custom Post Types.
- Added options to toggle display of menu items for all post types (Settings > Writing).
- Added status counts to each menu item.
- Statuses with 0 posts are now hidden.
- Rewrite to hopefully avoid conflicts with other plugins.
- First release.