Do you want to give users a private area to share information based on a role they have been assigned?
…this plugin allows you to quickly create a custom post type for user roles. This allows users, with a specific role, the ability to create and edit their own ‘help notes’, providing a private set of notes for use. It can be used for anything else that fits with that role ( e.g. creating and sharing ideas within teams, minutes of meetings, formal notes… etc.).
To add new roles to the basic WordPress roles (Administrator, Editor, Subscriber ..etc ) you will need to use another plugin. Refer to the Roles_and_Capabilities and Resources.. Plugins. You can then use one of these plugins ( e.g. User Role Editor ) to allocate users to multiple roles.
So if you want to quickly give a group a private area to share and post ideas/notes ..
1. Create a new role.
2. Add users to the role.
3. Enable the Help Notes from the settings.
A global ‘General Help Notes’ type is also available, which is not tied to a specific role; this has the same access/capabilities as the standard WordPress ‘post’ type for write access. Unlike the other Help Notes the General Type is public to read. You can see an example over at an example content page.
There is a widget available to list all users with access to the current Help Note type on display. The user display_name is shown and can be selected by each user within their own profile.
If you select the options for extending functionality through other plugins, the following are available for ease of installing..
Admin side Plugins..
- Role Includer has a simple interface to handle multiple roles with users. If you wish to hide/mask-out a particular role from “staff” ( such as “Administrator” ) so that staff cannot allocate the higher access level, then you can exclude higher roles by using the “Role Excluder” plugin.
- Email Users allows users within a Help Note group/role to email others.
- User Switching is a great tool for admins to switch to test any user’s access/capability.
- Simple Page Ordering for easing re-ordering of Help Notes.
- Post Type Switcher allows users with two or more roles to change the role assigned to a help note, which is useful if you created a Help Note under the wrong role.
- Pixabay Images provides a quick method for all enabled roles within Help Notes to upload Public Domain images.
Front End Plugins..
- Simple FootNotes by Andrew Nacin to add a footnote shortcode [ref][/ref].
- Tabby Response Tabs by cubecolour to add a tabbed effect to you contents page.
- Disable Comments by solarissmoke allows you to easily remove comments from ‘Help Note’ use.
- Menu Item Visibility Control plugin by shazdeh to add/hide ‘Help Notes’ to your menus.
GitHub – Development
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to the “Settings” Menu and “Help Notes” sub menu. Select which roles are to have Help Notes.
- Allocate roles to users for the Help Notes to appear in their Admin menu.
NOTE ! if you want to edit Help Notes yourself you need to have the role(s) assigned to your user profile!
(Just being an Administrator does not give you access).
Using this on a WooCommerce site. Works like a charm. Great plugin.
great for sharing notes
As a Web Developer, leaving notes for the Admin users who manage the go forward is a huge time saver. Thankyou for the time and effort put into this plugin.
No a simple way to add role based help noted, no manual on the WP Dashboard or the installed plugin settigs screen. Requires knowledge of code / WP Codex and so not suitable to beginner. Simpler plugins are available.
Works just like a post!
I use it for handover instructions for my clients – and because it allows you to separate notes by users, you can customize the instructions for each person.
I’ve tried a ton of dashboard-specific notes but this is by far the best one. Super easy to use.
I am using the Role Based Help Notes plugin on several sites. When combined with a support forum and a ticket system, Help Notes supplies the finishing touch to a complete system for addressing user’s needs for assistance and support.
Justin has been very responsive to questions on the support forum and quickly gives answers, and when needed, updates to the plugin. One could not ask for a better plugin author.
Contributors & Developers
“Role-Based Help Notes” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Change log is maintained on the plugin website