WordPress allows to attach (or assign) images and other attachments organized within the Media Library to posts and pages.
A file will automatically be attached to a particular post when uploaded using the Add media button in that post. There are also “Attach” links in the Media Library to manually attach files to posts. Once attached there is no way to unattach or re-attach images, pdfs or any attachment in WordPress core.
This plugin fills this gap by providing two additional links next to “Attach” in the Media Library:
- Re-Attach: Allows user to choose a new post to attach the media file.
- Unattach: Totally removes an existing relation between an attachment and a post.
The plugin also provides bulk actions for unattaching and re-attaching multiple files at once! Just mark the files you want to change, select your desired action from the Bulk Actions dropdown and hit Apply.
My initial issue came from here. Thanks to Unattach and Re-attach Media Attachments which inspired this plugin. Just adding upgrades of the code to the latter so it is safer for use and have fixed some bugs.
- Upload the plugin to the
/wp-content/plugins/directory or from the repository.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Refer to plugin description in regards to setting up how the plugins works
- It will work out of the box. Move to your media library and you can unattach and re-attach attachments to various posts.
How can I contribute?
You can raise lots of issues here and also make some Pull Requests through github
Contributors and Developers
“Upgrade for Unattach and Re-attach Media Attachments” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Upgrade for Unattach and Re-attach Media Attachments” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.