Enhance your website with free knowledge straight from Wikipedia!
Install Wikipedia Preview, the free add-on designed to better engage your visitors and improve the user experience on your website.
The Wikipedia Preview plugin provides context to your site’s visitors with content directly from Wikipedia. It allows you to add links to your content so that when your visitors click or hover on them, they see a pop-up box with information and images straight from Wikipedia. With Wikipedia Preview your visitors gain context on a topic, without ever leaving your website.
Wikipedia Preview is an official plug-in designed and developed by the Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit behind Wikipedia and other free knowledge projects.
The plug-in is entirely free to download and use, in line with the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission to provide free knowledge for everyone.
- Rich-media content straight from Wikipedia, to give your site’s visitors the context they need, without ever having to leave your website.
- Always free.
- Available in 300 languages.
- Easy to set up. Adding Wikipedia Preview links is even easier than adding other hyperlinks.
- Leveraging the content and brand name of one of the most popular websites in the world.
- Can be set up using the same process you use to add hyperlinks to your articles or using the Gutenberg editor custom tool.
- Handles any link to a Wikipedia article regardless of language, lead image presence, or length.
- Works for Right-to-Left (RTL) and Left-to-Right (LTR) languages.
- Offers access to a built-in gallery to dive into article images.
- Can be disabled for any page using the post metadata sidebar.
- Uses Gutenberg editor custom tool to search for Wikipedia articles and visualize Wikipedia Preview for readers.
How to use
- Download and install the Wikipedia Preview plug-in for free.
- Add a Preview link to your site’s content (i.e. a word or a phrase you want to provide context for).
- Wikipedia Preview will automatically turn the link into a preview of the relevant Wikipedia article.
Is Wikipedia Preview free?
Yes, Wikipedia Preview is free. It has been made available to you by Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that powers Wikipedia with a mission of free knowledge equity.
Does Wikipedia Preview work on any word?
Wikipedia Preview works with any word or phrase that has an article on Wikipedia, in any of the available languages.
When writing articles, decide which words show a Wikipedia popup on a particular post. The process of enabling the Wikipedia popup on a specific word is identical to adding a hyperlink.
After the implementation of Wikipedia Preview, will there be any impact on the size of the page? Will it get laggy?
The words that will have a Wikipedia Preview popup on your site need to be annotated. Those annotations add to the page size, but not more than the regular hyperlinks you already use.
Is it compatible with all the browsers?
Wikipedia Preview is compatible with the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge (current and previous version), Safari 5.1+, iOS 6.1+, and Android 4.1+
Please leave reviews on our Wikipedia Preview plugin page
How else can I work with the Wikimedia Foundation?
If you would like to explore a collaboration opportunity beyond Wikipedia Preview, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributors and Developers
“Wikipedia Preview” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors