Looking for a way to restrict product access in WooCommerce? Don’t want to set up a full-fledged memberships site?
This tiny plugin allows you to restrict access to any WooCommerce product, depending on the ownership or purchase of other, required products.
- Conditional product access based on the ownership and/or purchase of other required products.
- Support for “ownership”, “purchase” and “ownership/purchase” dependency types.
Developers can checkout and contribute to the source code on the plugin’s GitHub Repository.
Important: Requires WooCommerce 2.2+. WooCommerce 3.0+ or higher recommended.
Like this plugin? You’ll love our official WooCommerce Extensions:
- WooCommerce Product Bundles
- WooCommerce Composite Products
- WooCommerce Conditional Shipping and Payments
- WooCommerce Product Recommendations
- All Products for WooCommerce Subscriptions
Dependencies are evaluated when customers attempt to add a product to their cart. If validation fails, the product cannot be added to the cart and a notice is displayed. In order to evaluate “Ownership”-type dependencies, customers are prompted to log in.
To add dependencies to a product:
- Go to the Product Data > Dependencies tab.
- Use the Product Dependencies field to search for and add some products and/or variations.
- Choose a Dependency Type.
- Update to save your changes.
The “Ownership” dependency type is evaluated by checking if the customer has purchased a required product in a previous order. The “Purchase” dependency type requires the customer to have a required product in the cart in order to purchase the dependent one.
Ownership vs Purchase
The plugin allows you to select between 3 different dependency types:
- Ownership: Access is granted only to customers that already own any of the products added to the Product Dependencies field.
- Purchase: The product can be purchased only in combination with any of the items added to the Product Dependencies field. Ownership is not taken into account.
- Either: Access is granted with ownership or purchase of any item added to the Product Dependencies field.
- Download the plugin.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard and then click Plugins > Add New.
- Click Upload Plugin at the top.
- Click Choose File and select the .zip file you downloaded in Step 1.
- Click Install Now and Activate the plugin.
Contributors and Developers
“WooCommerce Product Dependencies” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“WooCommerce Product Dependencies” has been translated into 3 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
- Feature – Declared compatibility with the new High-Performance Order Tables.
- Fix – Prevent products from satisfying their own dependencies.
- Tweak – Declared support for WooCommerce 5.0.
- Tweak – Declared support for WooCommerce 4.2.
- Tweak – Declared support for WC 4.1 and WP 5.4.
- Tweak – Updated plugin headers to declare support for WC 3.9 and WP 5.3.
- Fix – Remove esc_html when rendering custom notices.
- Fix – Products with “Purchase”-type category dependencies cannot be added to the cart although a variation of a product that belongs to the required category has been added to the cart.
- Feature – Introduced category-based dependencies.
- Feature – Added custom dependency notices.
- Feature – Added AND/OR dependency relationship. Can be activated for specific products using the ‘wc_pd_dependency_relationship’ filter.
- Tweak – Tweaked default notices.
- Tweak – Updated description.
- Tweak – Added WooCommerce version headers.
- Fix – Variable product dependencies not validated correctly in the cart.
- Fix – Dependencies not working under WC < 3.0 after last update. Fixed!
- Refactored and cleaned up plugin.
- Fix – Added support for WooCommerce 3.0.
- Tweak – Add links to dependent products in notices.
- Fix – Stray “or” in dependent products list when only one dependency is present.
- Localization – Added Brazilian Portuguese translation.
- Fix – PHP array_values warning.
- Fix – WC 2.3 support.
- Localization – Added Brazilian translation (robertopc)
- Fix – Saving bug
- Fix – WC detection fix
- Tweak – Styling support for WooCommerce v2 write-panels
- Initial release