WP Maintenance Switch makes it easy to turn on maintenance mode while you are modifying your website.
This light-weight plugin is designed for small operations, such as switching a theme.
If you would like to set up your own custom maintenance page, please see the FAQ.
- Upload the ‘wp-maintenance-switch’ folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Donzo! The switch has been added to your admin bar and you’re ready to go.
- Is there a way to set up my own custom maintenance page?
If you want to set up your own maintenance page, log in using FTP and make your way over to
wp-content/directory. From there, create a new file called
maintenance.php, you can add whatever you want and it’ll display when you activate maintenance mode.
Please note you have to set up your own 503 headers in your custom maintenance file.
- Does this plugin have any configuration options?
No, WP Maintenance Switch does not have options to configure.
- Which user roles have the ability to switch on maintenance mode?
Only administrators have the ability to switch on maintenance mode. Administrators also have access to the website while its under maintenance.
Contributors and Developers
“WP Maintenance Switch” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Added security measures
- CSS fixes to maintenance page
- The front-end switch button is now small
- Lots of coding fixes
- Initial release